22.12.17

NORDIC CHRISTMAS [2/3]

I always loved visiting the city center during Christmas days, all the best when I am on holiday somewhere far from home, like now. It is a lovely anticipation of festive time to come. Always thought tiny lights on naked tree branches are enchanting and I love to discover the decorations shining through people windows or on the buildings.
As long as it is not me who has to rush for buying presents, I also love looking at people walking the streets with bags showing something nicely wrapped. 
The air is cold, crisp and filled with sweet delicious food smell.

NOrdic countries' long cold winters do force their inhabitants to be master of Christmas cheer. So is it here in The Netherlands. I could not wait to stroll about in Zwolle city center. 
We discovered a living nativity scene. Maria is still waiting for her baby to be born.
Cows, sheep, even a camel   and other animals are patiently waiting for the baby too.
Singing singing with very beautiful voices. Very poetic indeed.

A tent when everyone could play freely with lego bricks - kids and adult all together.
Santa takes care of his shoe-laces hidden behind a tree.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen...
Did you ever hear this song? It's so beautiful. I love Annie Lennox's version of it.
Have you ever tried Oliebollen? A typical dutch delicacy, commonly known as Dutch doughnuts, basically deep-fried raisins buns. According to tradition, they are eaten on Newyears Eve, that is why in these days the streets are filled with special kiosks who prepare them on the spot. I loved them covered in powdered sugar.
Another sweet I love: waffles covered in wipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hi! leave a comment, I will be happy to read from you in english, italian or dutch. Don't forget your name and thanks for visiting.
..............................................................................................................................

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...